Spending longer time duration on your feet needs most endurance and thus you need to properly train your body before heading towards the track for a long distance run. You not only need to work on your timings and fueling but there are other aspects such as proper dressing, strength etc. You would need to work on utilization of your primary fuel and would need to follow a proper running form so that you can run longer without any injuries. You may be able to accomplish your longest runs but here we are sharing some tips that would make your long runs more of a fun and less stressful for you.
Tips for Long Distance Running:
Plan it well: Before actually hitting the running track, you would need to decide how long you will be running and what will be your route for this long distance run? You would need to consider all the different factors related to your distant running such as hills that you will be crossing, running surface, weather conditions etc. Running over trails is much difficult then running on a flat smooth track so make sure you prepare yourself ahead if your running route has trails.
Fuel it up: Long distance running needs you to have all the strength and power of running so you need to fuel up your body. Before beginning this run, you need to eat and drink well so that your body has all the energy to go through a long run. Give your body a proper meal with a good supply of carbs so that you are good to go. Drink good amounts of water and hydrate yourself well. Avoid drinking too much of water just before your run as it may give you painful cramps with running. You can have a sports drink with all the cards that you need for running.
Be comfortable: It is important to make yourself comfortable in all possible ways. This is to ensure that nothing goes wrong and you will be able to manage everything over long distance. This part would also need some planning so that you don’t end up annoying yourself with a sports shorts that is not manageable during run or something probably irritates you. Plan and dress appropriately depending upon route, weather conditions and according to your own comfort. You should be wearing a proper pair of running shoes so that your feet remain comfortable over long distance.
Proper warm-up: Warm-up with varied stretching forms is important to loosen up your tightened muscles. Work on warming up all your core muscles and you will gain enhanced strength and endurance for running.
Begin slowly: Even if you are running a marathon, you should begin at a slow pace. Slowly cover the first few miles and enjoy your long distance running. If you begin to run at your full pace for the first few miles, you will actually become slower for the rest of your route. If you try to run faster than your pace then you probably may get injured. So slow your step down and make everything well under your pace of running.
During Long Distance Run:
Here are some tips that would keep you going on a long distance run:
- Keep water handy in order to hydrate yourself well and keep your body safe especially when there is high intensity heat and humidity outside.
- If you are running for more than an hour, you will need to refuel your body to continue to run. So if you have been running for more than an hour, take a break and eat something to get energy to run farther. Amount of carbs that you would need would depend upon pace of your running along with your own size. As you run long distance, you will be sweating more and thus will be losing on electrolytes from your body. In order to carry on safely, you would need some calories in the form of energy filled food such as energy bars, fruits, energy drinks etc.
After Long Distance Run:
Here are some tips that would help you recover after a long distance run:
- Have a good meal within a few minutes of your long distance run. This is an important aspect of your recovery. Quality of this recovery meal should be up to the mark to give you all the energy that you would have lost during this run. This meal should include a combination of carbohydrates and proteins.
- This would be a time to reward yourself for completing this run and thus you can consume food like pasta, rice, some sweet etc. that you otherwise avoid after a workout.
Mistakes to Avoid for Long Distance Runs:
- Don’t try to run too quickly to cover long distance quickly, you may end up getting too tired to even complete your run or may suffer an injury too.
- Run at a normal pace and as we mentioned begin even slower. Going too fast can lead to a disaster. If you run too fast, after a few miles you will begin to feel that your energy declines, your body would begin to pain and your performance will begin to suffer too.
- Don’t add too much of sugar as part of your fueling meal for long distance running whether it is before, during or after running workout.
- No matter what enjoy your run.
In any case you should not be going too hard on your body to complete a long distance run. Give your body good amount of rest and if you feel any pains or soreness of muscles; treat it immediately and treat it well. Don’t stress yourself as if you have been punished to complete a long distance run rather make it more interesting. Take small steps and run consistently and within some time you will be able to run your desired long distance. Keep on challenging yourself but move slowly so that you can end up being stronger and faster.