Many a times we face the trouble and embarrassment because of our smelling shoes. We often think of throwing those shoes away even when they are in good condition and are our favorite pairs. If this is the trouble that you are facing; the good news is that instead of throwing your shoes out, you can get rid of that foul smell from your shoes. In order to get that unpleasant odor out of your shoes, you would need to first understand the cause that leads to that stinky smell in your shoes. Here we will be sharing different ways with the aid of which you can make your shoes smell fresh and would not need to throw or replace them.
Why Shoes Smell Bad?
Shoes smell would be easier to deal with if you know the cause behind it. Some of the common reasons that gives rise to bad odor in your shoes include:
- Bacteria: A stinky smell begins to appear from your shoes if there are conditions that support growth of bacteria. Bacteria grows because of excessive sweat that is released from your feet usually in hot weather and is thus absorbed by shoes lining. Bacteria grows getting fed by the dead skin cells of your feet and thus causing a bad smell.
- Skin Allergies/Fungus/Wounds: Many a times culprit of a bad smell is disease such as any skin allergy, fungus or other problems with your feet. These problems may give rise to a foul smell from your shoes.
- Improper Shoes: A pair of shoes or socks that is an improper fit for your feet may be the cause of smell. This happens because if you wearing a shoe that is too tight, there would be no space for air to pass and thus this lack of ventilation would cause bad odor.
- Hygiene: Other common problem is hygiene. Your shoes may not be responsible for bad smell but as they keep your feet locked in; if those feet are dirty shoes would definitely catch an unpleasant odor too.
- Material of Shoes: Sometimes stinky smell from shoes appears because of material of shoes. If you are wearing shoes that are purely based on synthetic material and have plastic insoles, you will find your shoes to smell bad.
Easy Ways of Dealing with Unpleasant Smell:
Here are some simple ways of dealing with an unpleasant odor from your shoes:
- Dry them out: Remove laces of your shoes and inserts (if removable). Dry your shoes out in a dry sunny place. Drying your shoes out in a sunny place would help in removing bacteria and would hinder growth too.
- Fabric Conditioner: You can easily grab some softener or conditioner sheet for your shoes and place it inside your shoes after using them. These sheets are made to impart wonderful smell and would also wick away moisture from your shoes.
- Insert Newspaper: Another good idea to get rid of unpleasant smell is to stuff shoes with newspaper overnight. Next morning as you will remove newspaper, you will find your shoes free from stinky smell.
- Use Cedar Insoles: This is another good idea to avoid bad smell from shoes. You can use cedar material insoles and it would deal with this problem on itself.
- Wash them well: You must wash your shoes thoroughly inside out with a soapy nice smelling detergent. Let them dry out naturally under sun and you will get rid of bacteria and smell. But make sure you don’t wear them until they have completely dried out.
- Use Rubbing Alcohol: You can put some rubbing alcohol in cotton ball and wipe your shoes inside out. Let it dry out for some time and you will find that smell will be gone. Not only smell will fade away but this rubbing alcohol will kill bacteria as well.
- Antibacterial Spray: You can easily get an antibacterial spray and spraying it inside your shoes would reduce smell and growth of bacteria.
- Antifungal Foot Powder: If your feet are culprit behind bad smell, use this antifungal powder over your feet to avoid smelly shoes. Another useful tip for dealing with athlete’s foot fungus is to use any anti-fundal oil such as tea tree oil that itself smells great. Rub it over your feet before wearing shoes and it would prevent that bad odor from shoes.
- Vinegar with Water: Use water and distilled vinegar in equal quantities to make a solution. Take this mixture in a spray bottle and spray it on lining and sole of your shoes. Let this solution to dry for around an hour. Sprinkle some baking soda overnight. This method in combination would reduce bad odor and would make your shoes smell fresh.
The tips and techniques that we have shared here would work effectively well for freshening up your shoes and for getting rid of bad odor. However there will be cases that would be beyond the scope of recovery and if that is the case with your shoes; you will be left with no option than to throw them out. Investing in making those shoes better would only be waste of time, money and efforts. If you think that any of these methods could not de-stink your badly smelling shoes, it would be better to look for replacement shoes. Although in most cases, stinky smell could be dealt with well with any of these techniques either used alone or in a combination. So get your smelly shoes back to work with these simple ways.