As you register yourself for a race and it is almost there; you surely would have done your proper training and would be ready to deliver your best performance. This is just a checkpoint for you to remind you of some important things that must be considered on and for your race day. These tips are especially for beginners who will be running their first race ever. With these tips you will be able to make your race day stress-free and you will be able to put your 100% efforts in to winning it. So go through these tips so that you can start your first race well with confidence and a smile on your face and you end up reaching finish line with a similar confidence and sweat on your face.
Tips for Beginners Racers:
Running your first race, you will be excited and nervous both at the same time. Here are some tips that would enable you to deal with both of these feelings well in a positive and progressive manner for a run.
- Have Big Dreams: Although dream realistically but it is always good to dream big. You are running your first race and you can set a milestone for yourself to achieve. Winning race is not the only milestone but there can be other aspects of winning such as your own timing or pace for race. As you achieve your first milestone, celebrate the success and dream for another bigger milestone.
- Be Prepared: Running is an activity that doesn’t need many equipment. You just need to have a good pair of running shoes that is most comfortable and offers required support with stability for your feet. Along with that a clean pair of socks, water bottle, shorts, hair elastic and other related equipment may be needed. You should not be gathering all that stuff in the morning right before your race. Make sure you prepare for everything and lay all these things well the night before your race. It is recommended that you prepare for your pre-race breakfast as well over night. Think clearly and make a list a few days before the race so that you don’t have to worry for anything that you might not have on the day of race.
- Rise Early: Good runners are early risers for their regular routine. Follow that for the day of your race too and try to keep yourself relaxed. Waking up early would give you enough time to prepare for anything related to race and you will be able to reach for race on time in a relaxed state. Spend some time in bathroom, don’t rush. You won’t need to rush if you wake up earlier.
- Eat your Breakfast: You may be too nervous to eat anything on the day of your first race, but make sure you eat the breakfast. This should be part of your preparation and training. Eat breakfast around 2 hours before race and that also simple yet nutritious and easily digestible breakfast. It may include oatmeal, dried fruit, peanut butter bagel etc. You would need energy for your race so make sure you keep yourself hydrated and eat well.
- Reach before Time: Morning race days needs you to be there before time as you would need some time for parking if you are driving to race venue. Apart from that waiting in line to go to restroom, before race warm-up and other related activities would need time. You surely wouldn’t want yourself running to the race line instead you should be much relaxed and that could be done if you are before time.
- Warm-up before Race: It is extremely important to get warmed-up before race and warm-up should be done at least 20 minutes before race. Pre-race warm-up may include simple jogging for a few minutes, pick-ups and some stretching exercises in order to get your muscles in a state of running.
- Line-up: A number of people may be running with you and thus your starting line can be crowded. Different people would have different running paces and this makes your run more exciting. For your first race, it would be best to stay in middle so that you can safely run with people around you at your pace and some ahead of you while others chasing you.
- Don’t Change your Plans: Last minutes changes can be damaging. So you should stick to your plan and plan nothing new on the day of race. Remain with your usual things. Do not try a new drink, run at an increased pace or a new sports shoes or anything else. Just do and use whatever you are already familiar and comfortable with.
- Breathe Well: Throughout the race, be focused on breathing and running well without worries. As you reach the starting line, take some deep breaths and prepare your mind that you have to cover the entire distance of this race. Keep an eye on the finish line and assure yourself that you can do it.
Be Proud of Yourself: No individuals are same and thus each runner also runs with his own unique technique and at his own pace. Believe in yourself, love your own pace and be confident about your running. Dedication and love is only thing that would enable you to strive to achieve your goals. With each race you will get better if you are dedicated and have a positive attitude towards running. Love what you are doing and focus on what you can do? Don’t fight for perfection and it is all a game of mind and body. Just be focused on winning the battle by sharpening up your running skills and at the same time try to have fun.